Thursday, January 26, 2012

Commitment is hard, or Fuck.You. Newt Gingrich

Marriage is hard. Commitment is hard.  I love my husband and we’ve been married for over 20 years but I’d be less than honest if I said we never had problems, or that the thought of freedom never crossed my mind – and probably his as well. By necessity, marriage is constant compromise and that’s just the beginning.  When you add to that the ups and downs of everyday life and commitments; sex; money planning; kid(s); jobs….well, you get the picture.  Then there is ego, mine/his, it doesn’t matter - someone’s tired and takes something the wrong way; someone gorgeous walks by and insecurities arise.  It happens to us all at some point or another. Staying with someone everyday can be challenging and completely worth it.

When we first married we had a discussion about cheating.  See, my belief is that you can cheat any day you want to and I mean ANY day.  There’s always someone who wants to do the deed and if that’s what you want when you wake up you can go out and get it. Therefore, every single day that you stay faithful to your commitment is a conscious choice, or should be conscious, since I expect sometimes people are just too tired to do anything else!  If you can remind yourself that your relationship is a conscious choice it’s easier to find the joy and laughter involved with sharing everyday life with someone.

In steps Newt Gingrich, who has the unbelievable gall to say that he is more representative and ‘normal’ because he’s been married 3 times and had to ask God for forgiveness? Please.  If your moral compass is to do anything you want because you can ask God to forgive you then your compass is broken.  http://bit.ly/wcuLHV   Up until I heard this I didn’t give a crapola how many times he was married because I wasn’t married to him.  But this bullshit narrative and historical revision is too much. 

MANY of us are living daily life, trying to do the right thing and find joy.  We are working, loving, arguing, making up and making the decision every day to try and stay true to ourselves and those we love.  This is true no matter our sexual preferences, whether we are legally married or cohabiting, or just starting out dating.  We don’t need guidance from someone who does whatever the hell he wants and then acts a victim.  If I could get in his face and tell him off right this second I truly would.

No comments:

Post a Comment